08/10/2020 0 Comments
Tips For Cleaning And Caring For Your Dentures
Dentures are an excellent option for tooth replacement, and they are one of the cheaper alternatives today. When you take proper care of your dentures, you can likely get up to 5 years without needing a replacement set.
Most dentures last well beyond the 5-year mark, especially when you care for them and have them properly relined and refitted throughout the years. To get the most out of your investment, and have your dentures last longer, you must clean and care for them properly, which is not as easy as it seems.
How Do You Care for Dentures the Right Way?
Dentures require two basic types of care: daily cleaning and storage.
You will clean your dentures daily just as you would real teeth, but with a few exceptions. They require more attention than regular teeth after meals, and especially at night when you go to bed.
Here are just a few tips for keeping your dentures clean, sanitary, and healthy for years:
- Rinse after Eating: Always remove and rinse your dentures under cool water after you eat. This will help to remove any food debris and loose particles. No mouthwash is required, just rinse, clean, and store.
- Handle Dentures with Care: Dentures are a lot more fragile, especially compared to natural teeth. One knock inside a sink could easily break your dentures and limit how much time you have with them. Anytime you are rinsing your dentures over a sink, place a towel below in case they drop. Also, when cleaning, do not bend or roughly handle your dentures as this may force them to break or the plastic clasps to come loose.
- Do Not Ignore Your Mouth: Whether you have full or partial denture implants, you still need to care for the inside of your mouth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and clean your natural teeth. Then, clean your cheeks, the roof of the mouth, use gauze along the gums, and do not ignore the tongue.
- Brush Your Dentures: Dentures require daily brushing, just like real teeth. Only, in this case, you need to wash them once per day. Soak them in a gentle cleansing solution, then use a soft-bristled brush with a non-abrasive denture cleanser to remove all plaque, food deposits, and debris on or in between the teeth. Do not forget about the grooves where adhesive residue tends to build up.
- Soaking Overnight: When you are done with your dentures for the day, place them in water or a mild denture solution for an overnight soak. Dentures must not be allowed to dry out; otherwise, they will warp and lose their shape. To keep them moist, you should soak them any time they are out of your mouth for more than a few minutes. Remember to rinse your dentures before putting them back into your mouth the next morning.
- Polydent Tablets: Refreshes your dentures acrylic and helps get rid of odor giving dentures a gentle clean. We sell a product called “Denture Brite” which is a strong cleaner removing coffee, tea, tobacco stains as well as tarter and plaque build-up.
- Ultrasonic Cleaner: We have an ultrasonic cleaner in our clinic, we give patients a thorough cleaning and polishing takes about 30 minutes depending on stains.
Important DON’TS when Caring for Dentures
Certain things you do can damage the dentures permanently, forcing you to replace them prematurely. These include using hot or boiling water to soak or rinse your dentures, which will warp them. Also, any products with bleach, including whitening toothpaste, must never be applied to your dentures. Lastly, avoid all abrasive cleaning materials, including stiff toothbrushes that can permanently damage the teeth.
Speak with Your Dentist Regarding Dentures in Port Coquitlam
Whether you are interested in dentures or need to have your current dentures relined, Burke Mountain Denture Clinic, Inc. can help.
We are trained and experienced in the fitting of dentures, including partial and full sets, immediate dentures, and implants that rest over your dentures.