08/10/2020 0 Comments
FAQs About Dentures –insights from Your Denture Clinic in Port Coquitlam
Getting dentures can be a life-changing event; especially if you have spent several years with missing or decayed teeth, or even without any teeth. Not only will it be a significant adjustment of your life, but also an equally significant financial investment. Therefore, you obviously will have questions about the process, costs, and what to expect in your life with dentures.
The best resource for answers is your local denture clinic in Port Coquitlam. While you await an appointment with the team at Burke Mountain Denture Clinic, Inc., we have supplied some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Common Questions and Answers about Dentures
You may have several questions such as, whether dentures are right for you, whether they are worth it, and how wearing them will affect your quality of life. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions our office receives and the answers our team provides:
- How long do dentures last? Dentures are removable prosthetics, and because they can be removed, this makes them a solution that works well but is not permanent. Partial and full dentures last approximately five to seven years with proper care, though.
- What can I expect when I first start using my dentures? You have had missing teeth for some time, which means the bone of your jaw begins to shrink. You can expect dentures to cause some soreness at first, but that soreness should not last more than a week. If it does persist, schedule an appointment to have your dentures adjusted.
- What types of dentures are there? Dentures come in a variety of styles, and the right form depends on your dental concern. Typically, you choose from complete, immediate, and partial dentures.
- What are immediate dentures? We use immediate dentures right after tooth extractions. They are a go-between from the time of removal to the time you receive your complete dentures or get implants. Their most significant benefit is that they help retain your jaw shape. They also help to prevent bone loss and avoid issues with speech.
- Do I still need to see a dentist if I have dentures? Just because you are using dentures does not mean you are free from oral health issues. You still have gums and caring for gum tissue is essential. You should see your dentist regularly to check your gums, bone density, and to make sure your dentures are still fitting well.
- Why do you remove dentures at night? You should not wear dentures overnight. Instead, you remove them to give your gums and remaining teeth room to breathe. Wearing dentures continuously (including overnight) increases your risk of a fungal infection.
- How do you care for dentures? Clean your dentures regularly to remove food, plaque and tartar build-up. Use a denture brush and denture-approved cleaning paste (which is non-abrasive). You can also use over-the-counter denture soaking solution.
Schedule a Consultation at Your Denture Clinic in Port Coquitlam
Getting dentures is undoubtedly exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time for you. The best way to get answers to these pressing questions and to ensure you make an informed decision, is to schedule a consultation.
Your appointment at the Burke Mountain Denture Clinic not only answers your questions but also ensures that dentures are indeed the ideal solution for your oral health. Our team will review your dental history and find the right replacement solution based on the overall condition of your gums, jaw bone, any remaining teeth and mouth. We also take into consideration your budget, dental benefits, and most importantly, what you want from your ‘new’ teeth.
Are you ready to explore dentures to improve your speech, chewing and wellness? Call our denture clinic in Port Coquitlam at 604-944-4910 or feel free to request your consultation appointment online. We also serve Tri Cities, lower Mainland and Fraser Valley.